With a support of International Development Association to the Government of Nepal, University Grants Commission (UGC) under the Second Higher Education Project (SHEP), has awarded the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (DoCSE), School of Engineering (SoE), Kathmandu University (KU), a 24 months Research Project (Dec 2011 Nov 2013) .
Title- Opinion mining and argumentation analysis in newspaper editorials as an institutional grant.
The Project would be led by Mr. Bal Krishna Bal, Assistant Professor at DoCSE, KU.
AIM of Project
– To develop a computational model for mining opinions and performing argumentation analysis in newspaper editorials. As part of the Project, two candidates would be provided scholarship (tuition fees support) for a full time M.S by Research Degree at Kathmandu University for up to a maximum of 24 months. The candidates would work towards earning a M.S by Research Degree in Computer Science and Engineering in due course of working in the Project as Researchers.
The following are the requirement for eligibility of candidate.
1) A citizen of Nepal and holding a valid Nepali citizenship card at the time of submission of the application.
2) A Bachelors Degree holder in the field of Computer Science and/or Engineering from some recognized University within Nepal or outside with a CGPA of 2.5 or above or 50% or above.
3) A fairly good competency in programming and experiences working in Java based programming Projects.
4) Prior trainings or working experiences in the field of Natural Language Processing (NLP) would be an advantage.
5) Applicants would need to produce a payment voucher of NRs. 2000 as application fee paid to Kathmandu University and account number 00501030250009 from any of the branches of Nepal Investment Bank Ltd. and submit a completed M.S by Research application form. Checklist for ensuring the completeness of the application is also available along with the form. Any application failing to satisfy the one or more items in the checklist would not be qualified for the competition.
6) The completed application form along with the payment voucher of NRs. 2000 should reach the School of Engineering, Administration Office, Kathmandu University by 2 P.M, January 11, 2012.
Only shortlisted candidates would be called for the interview and other selection procedures. The successful candidates would be informed of their preliminary selection by Feb 1, 2012.
However, the final selection of the candidates would be subject to the endorsement of the applications by the Research Committee, School of Engineering.
The program will tentatively start from early March 2012.